How to troubleshoot SQL error  & open applications in Kofax 10
I recently worked with a customer who was receiving the error below on a Client/Server installation with a standalone SQL instance (not built-in):
 KdoLib: Network I/O error: A network-related or instance-specific error occurred while establishing a connection to SQL Server. The server was not found or was not accessible. Verify that the instance name is correct and that SQL Server is configured to allow remote connections. (Provider: SQL Network Interfaces, error: 26 – Error Locating Server/Instance Specified) (-1)
After performing a clean install of Kofax 10 on a new workstation, they were unable to open Batch Manager, Administration, etc. The process could be seen in Task Manager, but the window would not open, and after about 20 minutes would show the error above.
To resolve this we first tested the connection to the SQL server using a .udl file. This can be done by creating a blank text file, then renaming the extension to .udl.
Open this new Data Link and fill in the fields for your SQL server and test the connection. If you do not get a success, verify that your server name, login, firewall, etc. are configured properly to access the server.
Once you have verified a connection to the server, we will need to setup an ODBC connection in Windows. Since Kofax is a 32-bit program you will need to set up a 32-bit ODBC connection. If you are running a 32bit Windows, open Administrative Tools in Control Panel and select either “Data Sources (ODBC)” or “ODBC Data Sources” depending on your version of Windows. To create or modify a 32-bit Data Source on 64-bit Windows you must run “C:WindowsSysWOW64odbcad32.exe”.
- With the ODBC Data Source Administrator window open, select the System DSN tab and then click Add
- From the list of sources, select SQL Server, then click Finish
- Type a friendly name for this data source, a description, then the name of the SQL Server, and click Next
- On the next screen the method you will use to connect to this SQL server, enter the username and password, then click Next
- You should not need to enter any information on the next 2 windows, click Next through them, and then click Finish
- Finally, click Test Data Source. You should see a success message, click OK, then OK
This system now has your Kofax SQL Server added as a Data source and will now be able to open Kofax applications!